Sunday, November 14, 2010

The House That Cleans Itself...And the gift goes on

I went over to a friend's house on Saturday to work with her on her "House that cleans itself". If you are like...huh??....I have written about the process in previous blogs. Short story...it's a cleaning book that rocks. I went over at 11am to work for a couple of hours. She was about 90% through the process and just needed help finishing. I am smiling when I type this because we spent 8 hours kicking her house's butt. We almost forgot to eat two meals. The best part was her 4 youngest kids and my two got along GREAT which made the whole process smoother since there is no way we both could have got sitters. It made me realize that I am not fully done with my process yet and also that brainstorming cleaning ideas is the best when you are cleaning impaired....which I AM! :) I want to go back through and re-read the book to make sure there is nothing else that I missed or that I want to tweak more. My house has come so far from where I used to be. Her's is shortly behind mine and I can't wait to get it there for her. I think we have another Saturday in our future once she recovers from my Drill Sargeant ways...
On a quick note I would like to share 10 housekeeping tips that I have learned.

1) Everything needs a home and need to be in it's home or else it just gets moved from room to room
2) If the object doesn't stay in the proper place tie it down. For example, if the hairbrush runs away from the bathroom all the time. Tie a string to the pipes under the sink and the other end to the brush. Viola!! You know where the hairbrush is. Her hubby really liked this one. :)
3) Wet wipes are good for everything. Get a pack of one for every room and you will see the difference.
4) A working mom will probably never get the whole day to clean so clean when you can and you will get more done.
5) You are never too old to make your own chore chart! :)
6) Nail polish probably does not need to be in the bread cabinet...just sayin'....
7) More furniture, another tote or another basket will NEVER make you more organized unless you are buying them for a specific purpose.
8) NEVER buy furniture unless you know that is has a specific place or purpose
9) Documenting everything with photos lets you know how far you have come...take pictures and lots of them
10) EVERYTHING is more fun with a friend. Find a friend to help you with the process if you can. Trust me...you will hear their voice in your head when you want to buy that really cute basket that you have no place for :) :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with the wet wipes-don't know how I functioned without them before Evie

    ReplyDelete